In the Spirit of V-Day and for all you chocolate lovers out there, I took a stab at an adaption of one of my favorite bloggers’ (the Detoxinista) raw treat and made some changes of my own.
It was my first time making these and I have to say they were so easy to make and soooo yummy! I got hooked on these “Bliss Balls” in Australia when I was visiting Cairns. They had a few varieties to choose from but my favorite was the raw cocoa and coconut version so I promised myself to give them a try when I got back home to New York.
For this version, I sprinkled in some chia seeds for healthy fat and fiber, a sprinkle of unsweetened shredded coconut and used maple extract instead of vanilla. I also used cashews as the base because I have a sensitivity to walnuts if I have too many!
Hope you guys enjoy making (and eating) these as much as I do- and be sure to save some for your friends and family for Valentine’s Day- I know they’re yummy so maybe double the recipe in case! The best part is that they’re naturally sweetened with fruit so go ahead and enjoy!
Makes About 12-16 Balls ( Adapted from Detoxinista’s Raw Brownie Bites)
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- ¼ cup cocoa powder ( I used Hershey’s Unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon maple extract (alcohol free, if you prefer)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 Medjool Dates (the softer the better, if hard soak for 1 hour)
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ tablespoon of chia seeds
- ¼ tablespoon of organic unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- Additional cocoa powder, for coating (optional)
- In a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade, grind the cashews until they’re a powdery “meal” texture. Add in the rest of the ingredients, and keep processing until a dough forms.
Scoop out the batter carefully using a silicon spatula if you have one to get all the batter off the sides. On parchment paper, roll the balls between your hands. Finally dip the balls in cocoa powder (optional)
- Store the balls in the fridge or freezer (serving them chilled is the best texture.)